Monday, October 11, 2010

Serena out for the rest of 2010 after recurrence of foot injury

Serena Williams says she is "devastated" after being ruled out for the rest of 2010 due to a recurrence of her foot injury.

Williams, who is due to be knocked off her world number one ranking by the Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki on Monday, confirmed her absence after pulling out of the Austrian Open at the last minute.

The American superstar initially injured her foot in the July after standing on broken glass in a Munich restaurant.


Her last tournament was Wimbledon, where she claimed her fourth singles title and second grand slam crown of the season.

She reported a problem while training in Florida over the weekend and confirmed on her official website that she will be joining sister Venus in sitting out the rest of 2010.

"I have been training for many weeks to get back to playing tennis as quickly possible since my foot surgery in mid-July," she said.

"Yesterday (Saturday) I learned that I had tried too hard, and did too much too soon.

"After practicing I felt discomfort in my foot and tests by my doctor revealed that I had unfortunately re-strained it, as a result of over training.

"I am likely out for the year now. I was really looking forward to beginning my comeback in Linz, followed by the year-end championships in Doha.


0 comments: